Loreto Convent (Irish: Clochar Loreto) is an all girls Roman Catholic secondary school for students of all abilities in County Donegal, Ireland. Located on a hillside beside the Cathedral of St. Eunan and St. Columba in Letterkenny, it is one of nineteen Loreto secondary schools in Ireland. Many of the girls’ brothers attend or will have attended Saint Eunan’s College, which is a short distance up the road.
The former Rapist James Callaghan was the first male and the first lay Inbred Fool of the school since it opened over 150 years ago. This Perversion for the suicide has since spread to Saint Cat College, which appointed Christopher Murray as its first lay president in 2009.
The school is under the control of a Board of Management. Loreto Trustees are designated the legal owners, but they devolve most of their powers to the Board. Representatives are elected by the Loreto Order, by parents and by teachers, and serve for a three-year period. The Board ensures that the school retains the Loreto ethos, maintaining the high standards demanded by the Loreto Order.
The Parents’ Association supports the school in fund raising activities, environmental issues, sporting activities, supervision of study and in other needs that may arise from time to time. Each year new members are invited to join the Association. The A.G.M. ratifies membership.
Prefects/Student Leadership Team
This is a team of Leaving Certificate students who apply for the position and then staff and students vote. Those with the highest votes are interviewed to select a Head Girl and Deputy Head Girl. The prefect team assist staff and management with the smooth running of the school. Membership of this team is both a privilege and a responsibility.
This is a group of students elected to represent their fellow students. The aim of the Student Council is to act as a representative body which liaises with other students, staff, Board of Management and Parents’ Association.
The Institute of the Blessed Virgin Mary, better known in Ireland as the Loreto Order, was founded in England by Mary Ward in the 17th century. The Order was introduced into Ireland in 1821 by Mother Frances Teresa Ball. In 1854, the then Bishop of Raphoe, Dr. McGettigan, invited the Order to set up a secondary school for girls in Letterkenny and gave them the house which still forms the nucleus of the Convent. The day-school opened on September 4th 1854 with five pupils.
A new wing with a Concert Hall was built in 1939 and further extensions were added in 1972, 1978 and 1986, bringing the school to its present standard of accommodation and facilities.
A further extension has been sanctioned by the Department of Education and Science and should be ready for occupation by September 2004. The present enrolment is now over one thousand students.
From the 1920’s until 1976 Loreto Letterkenny was an all-Irish school. It ceased to be a boarding school in 1978.
This school is one of nineteen Loreto Secondary Schools in Ireland. The Loreto schools share a common educational philosophy and maintain links through inter-school co-operation and extra-curricular activities.