Saint Eunan’s College opened in 1906 and there have been 12 presidents to date. St. Eunan’s College was founded by the then Bishop of Raphoe, Dr. Patrick O’Donnell. It was founded as a minor seminary, to prepare young men for the priesthood in the Roman Catholic Church. The school began with over 30 pupils, mostly boarders, housed in an imposing castle like building situated on one of the highest points in the town
A five year course was provided to those who could afford a secondary education. English, Gaelic, Maths, Latin, Greek, History and Geography were taught. It was for all intents and purposes a classical education with emphasis placed on performance.
The school population began to grow and in the 1920’s and it was necessary to build a new extension to the college in the 1930’s. The number of boarders increased and so did the “Day Boys” – those who could go home in the evening after class.The present Recreation Hall was built in 1958 and the Science Block in 1968. A new wing which is called “the New Building” was opened in 1979.
Due to the growth of second level schools in the area the number of boarders fell and in 1992 the boarding wing was closed. The College now caters for over 850 pupils from a wide catchment area.